Thursday, July 14, 2011

"Tell them your REAL name!"

Every Friday night we go out for dinner and ice cream.  It's become such a staple, Lilli rarely lets us deviate from the plan. The anticipation is how she has learned the days of the week.  We call it our "date night" even though it involves all three of us and it makes the end of the week feel special.

Last week, as we were eating our ice cream, Lilli met a little boy.  He was about a year older and just as friendly as our little social butterfly.  They talked for a few minutes and then asked each other's names.  Before Lilli got a chance to tell him her name of the week he said "I'm Scooby!"

"Tell her your REAL name!" said his mother.  Dave and I both looked at each other and laughed.  "Your son does that too!?" we both chimed.

"I'm Lilli Jack Scary Doggie" Lilli echoed.  Her name changes every time she becomes enchanted with a new character.  She was Oswald for at least six months, so when she became obsessed with Jack Black, I opted for a compromise.  Not just Jack, Lilli Jack.  Then came the bulldog puppet she is so scared of but can't get enough of so much that she plays the same 5 second frame of this dog over and over.

As I mentioned before, it worries me to a point that she associates with characters and changes her name over and over.  I've come to accept it and try to compromise.  I don't fight her on it anymore.  Most of the time people think it's adorable.  It's rare that I get a wrinkled brow about it.  Still, I had never heard of any other kids being so adamant about their name.

The four of us parents sat and exchanged the mant different identities our two kids had created for themselves while the two kids played nicely.  It was refreshing and with a sigh of relief I felt much better about my creative kid.  We're not the only ones with a toddler going through an identity crisis.  If you can even call it that...

When I was in elementary school, I insisted on being called Crystal.  My grandpa was the only one who obliged.  I never realized how good it made me feel until I watched my daughter scream bloody murder when you called her by her given name.  Just to be accepted... That was all that mattered.  I never changed my name, eventually I was bored of it.  Lilli will too, and has... a few times now.

It's easy to say "stop it, that's not your name!" It's harder to accept her for who she is... I have found, in life, the harder of the paths is usually the most rewarding.

Lilli Jack Scary Dog.  So be it.