Tuesday, July 12, 2011

There you are, Peter...

It's amazing to me how a month of blogging covers so much of one little girl's life and a month without it feels like an eternity of memories and thoughts lost.  So many many ideas come and go and I just don't have the ability to hold on to all of them... Luckily, there's this thing called paper! Imagine that.  So I kept track of SOME of the things I had planned to talk about but now they seem like ancient history and sort of stale.

I have spent two months fighting the computer fates, eventually lead to make a huge transition from PC to Mac. Here I sit, two giant screens later, finally at peace... sort of. Never again will I have to deal with an .exe, disk defragment, or customer service that I can barely understand.  Except when the other PC starts to test my patience.

Over the past month, we said goodbye to a friend who moved on to bigger and colder places.  (Robin, shout out! Woot!) It was incredibly sad to say goodbye to one of my first real friends I made after we moved down here.

Making friends as an adult has proven much more difficult and confusing after college, even more so when you up and move 1,100 miles away from everything you know.  It takes courage, opening yourself up, pulling yourself up from the bootstraps, sucking it up and putting yourself out there.  At times it was like dating, something I never enjoyed even as a teenager. Finding the group of friends I have made down here was no easy task.

To say I lucked out is an understatement.  To say I will miss my dear friend is not even close to describing it.  Luckily, I am not left completely alone in my wallowing. We will talk about how we'll lure her back, maybe even come up with a few good ideas.  To have a friend far away is way better than to have never known her at all.  Robin, we will miss you. You've been an inspiration, a teacher, and a great friend.

I guess it's fitting to come back from hiatus to say goodbye.  At least we have the world of internet, where not a thought goes unspoken (or untyped) and finding a way to keep in touch is as easy as hitting PUBLISH.

It's good to be back. Many stories to tell!