Monday, May 16, 2011

Lilli's Mix CD

One of the things we had hoped for our child, when she was just as small as a finger tip growing in my belly, is that she would be into music.  Being that Dave is a musician, he had hoped for "a screamer" and/or "a drummer" when she was barely the size of a pencil eraser. When she was born, we listened to whatever music we had always listened to. Of course, the foul language didn't really matter, if anything it helped her develop grunts into sounds.  Then she started learning to talk, repeating constantly, and of course coming into her own taste in music.  Luckily for me, she wasn't being exposed to the screaming hard core music Dave enjoys as much as my own.  She was home with me, being force fed some indie rock and "Carrie" music.  Strawberry flavored, melodic and mostly cheerful music from all genres. With no surprise, she liked all kinds of music, even the screaming kinds... Her favorites by far (perhaps by just being constantly exposed to it) were not the ABC's, Old MacDonald, or gag Raffi... It was a variety of ska, regge, indie, and even unfortunately some kids songs (but not your normal variety of annoying, pull your hair out, buy ear plugs, and zone out kind). She liked the Chromeo, Postmarks, Jimmy Eat World, Weezer, and  Reel Big Fish kind.

I like to make new mixes every few months, she picks her favorite songs and demands all others be skipped.  After a while of having to change my CD's back and forth to get the songs she wanted to listen to, and after my CD player started to decline such requests, I made her very own Lilli Mix.  It's one of my favorite mixes.

Three Little Birds (B Version), Bob Marley, B is for Bob
Snoop Dog, Baby, Reel Big Fish, Turn The Radio Off
I am a Paleontologist, They Might Be Giants
5 Years Time, Noah And The Whale
Sugar Daddy, The Hot Toddies
Hot Dog!, They Might Be Giants
1 2 3 Apple Tree, Herman Dune
Technicolor, Nurses
Hello Bonjour, Michael Franti and Spearhead
Somewhere Over the Rainbow, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole
Rainbow, Jack Johnson
Sharing Song, Jack Johnson
Jurasic Finish First, Jurasic 5
The Lion Sleeps Tonight, George David Weiss
Lollipop, Julius Edward Dixon
The Monster Song, Psapp
When The Sun Rose Up This Morning, Herman Dune
Make My Day, Waldeck
Island In The Sun, Weezer
Troublemaker, Weezer

My kid rocks.